Friday, April 16, 2010

So much for that!

Cruise control didn't last long...I've just been ignoring it since it "kicked out"!

Mowed for the first time last weekend; after the terrace and the side-hill next to the driveway, on top of clearing gutters (lots of trips up and down the ladder and a fall when I missed a rung at one point) my knee was unhappy enough I had to ask Dottie to mow the "flat" parts of the lawn for the first time since she had her hip and knee replaced. Perhaps I'll be splitting all that into 2 days the next time it needs done, at least for a while! Perhaps next time I'll remember the sunscreen on my bald head as well; though it was only about 3 hours outside, I'm peeling...

That was after two days of wrestling with a clothes dryer; I'd never worked on one, didn't have a book, and though I managed to replace the belt and get it running again for just over $20, I spent a lot of time vacuuming lint out of places I'd never thought I'd find it, along with push pins, paper clips and other things the shouldn't be running around loose where I found them. I've cleaned french fries out of defroster ducts in cars before, and crayons out of seat belt reels, but didn't expect that!

This week has been spent filling out more job apps, getting things ready for a family birthday barbecue this weekend and finally, for the first time in ages, experimenting a bit in the kitchen. I hadn't really felt like it for a long time, but finally got out some of the books I'd bought before I retired and tried stuffing chicken breasts and grilling them on the George Foreman. The original recipe called for asparagus, tomato and fontina cheese, but not having fresh asparagus on hand, or the fontina, I subtituted Colby Jack and it turned out nicely!

The birthday barbecue mentioned above is the annual we usually hold for both sons; the younger, John, is 31 today. Last year it was so hard to get the family together that my sister had my nephew's birthday party late at the same time; this year, with him in college, he'll be sharing again. 

This will be the first time our older son, Bill has missed his birthday. At 32 I know we're lucky it's taken this long; I wasn't home for my 18th. Still, it won't quite be the same without him, though I understand that he can't slip home from DC for all the family events. So far his Mom isn't saying much, but I know it's weighing on her.

May the weekend be kind to each of you; may some unexpected joy find you along with a smile or two!

alan


5 comments:

ryssee said...

Bittersweet. I bet Bill will call while everyone is there. Not the same as being there, but still. I'll also bet it's weighing on his mind as much as it is on yours and Dottie's, and that phone call will hit him in the heart, just like it will yours.
Hope you're blessed with good weather and have a great time regardless. :)
And, I hope the knee feels better soon!

robin andrea said...

Hope the birthday celebration is a good one. Maybe you could Skype with Bill, so he could join you for the festivities at least virtually.

Green tea said...

It does get harder to get everyone together..
We have our family birthday Party in August since there are 6 of us with August Birthdays and another one (our 2nd GG child)will be here in August, followed by 3 more by December
Next Christmas will be wild... :)

Sassy said...

You are quite the handy man. :p

I love colby cheese!

meelo said...

so much time has passed, alan, since seeing your inspirational words on my blog. i'm happy to find that you're still writing here. i waded back into the blogging world not long ago. i will settle in with a good cup of coffee one day at home and catch up on your life. just wanted to say hello again and you've been missed...