Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I've been biting my tongue...

for days now, and just can't stand it anymore!

14 artillery shells fired into a clearly marked UN observer post.
6 phone calls pointing out the error to those firing the shells.

Guess they were tired of the phone calls because next it was a 500 pound American made laser guided bomb that found it's way to them!

It was bad enough when people were being told to leave after the bridges and roads had already been blown up...

When our government was planning on charging the Americans that were trying to leave for their transportation to Cyprus and then home...

When the BBC announced that the US military aircraft ferrying the smart bombs and other munitions to Israel (more of our tax dollars at work) were stopping over at an airbase in the UK without having asked permission (big no-no)...

Then we have the 2nd massacre at Qana on Sunday, with at least 60 dead, mostly women and children (again). Last time (1996) the residents had gone to a UN base for their safety as they couldn't evacuate.

It was shelled by artillery! 106 dead...

This time two more American made laser guided bombs were dropped on a building "that was close to where we thought some missles were fired from"!

They regret the loss of life...Bush regrets the loss of life...

They say they'll stop bombing for 48 hours to let people leave and let aid convoys in; tonight on the BBC Oxfam said that they are requiring clearance for each individual convoy and 72 hours notice before they can move. Of course, the 48 hours will be over before the 72 hours is!

So much for a pause...

Bush says we're going to send aid...

Guess we should, we already sent the bombs!


My friend in Beirut was OK as of yesterday. Her company is trying to get their employees to relocate to offices in other countries "for the duration". If she doesn't, she goes on half pay for the forseeable future. She doesn't want to leave her parents and grandparents (in their 90's and not in good health). I can't blame her...

I can't imagine her Dad and what he must be thinking. A Palestinian Christian, born in Haifa in what is now Israel, uprooted and exiled as a boy...

My head is spinning as I think of all of this...my heart is heavy...

There are so many ways to die in this world...traffic, disease, accidents...

Why do we have to kill each other as well?

alan

12 comments:

mckait said...

you have said it all...

why indeed?

Anne said...

why? religion. aka: the supernatural.
count me out.

robin andrea said...

Old ways of thinking. Believing in ancient myths. We are one people on one planet. That's all. Everything else is a made-up story that people kill and die for.

puhpaul said...

You said it alan. I can't understand why such superficial differences between us can lead to such atrocities. Neither side will give up and every civilian the Israeli bombs kill will only spawn 10 more Hezbollah fighters.

I weep, paul

MB said...

Oh Alan. It seems it's always this way, somewhere in the world, and I don't know why. When I look at people, they are so beautiful it seems impossible. But there it is. Part of the warp and weft of the big picture. The only thing I know to do is, as you do, weave threads of love through out, mending the holes in our reach the best we can.

CrackerLilo said...

Your last two sentences are things I ask myself every day. *hug*

And I will be praying for your friend in Beirut.

It's good that you stopped biting your tongue.

Kranki said...

Well said. I just don't get it. I just don't.

Taradharma said...

it is sheer madness...the loss of innocents...i imagine that happening in my town...what is the long term effect on the people? just more hate....I like Robin's comment...yep.

Connie in FL said...

Thoughtful insights Alan.

You are a most thoughtful and sensitive man.
Thank you.

dragonflyfilly said...

Hi Alan, war is nasty...some people are very stupid, they don't know there is another way or they are too lazy to try another way, like ....well, don't get me started or i will never shut up....

ref. your comment at my blog:

*SIGH*....yes, i know, as i said before, i do not have many regrets in life, but this is one, selling my "Green Machine"....what a stud magnet!!!

dragonflyfilly said...

hi alan; yep, I LOVE CANADA, wanna immigrate? like my ex-, you'll have to marry me, HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH,
sorry, don't mind me, i'm in a really silly mood today!

cheers for now,
pj

I n g e r said...

You said it. All of it.

Hugs and love, Alan.