Sunday, December 14, 2008

You know you're living right...

when you get up on the morning of your 32nd anniversary as your wife is leaving for work...

you trade her car for your truck because it's 59F (15C.) outside and you really need to change the oil in it.

You eat breakfast...

you drive it far enough to get it good and hot...

you come home and pull the drain plug...

and the wind that's been howling ceaselessly for the last two days swirls (20-30mph with gusts over 50mph) down the hill and under the car just enough to cover the side of your face with the oil, and give you a nice lingering taste of it. Though Mobil 1 is about $5 a quart, I can assure you it doesn't taste any better than regular motor oil!

You let it drain and drip until it's done...

when you go back out it's 25F (-4C.)...

Which is twice as warm as the high is supposed to get to tomorrow!

The wind is still howling...

The rain is due shortly, to turn into freezing drizzle and an inch of snow of course!

And after I take a quick shower I'm going to go trade her car for my truck so she has the car for the drive home, and so the truck is in the driveway first, before it gets any colder!

Never wonder why they say truth is stranger than fiction!

May the rest of your weekends be warm and wonderful, and may the work week be kind!

alan

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mobile 1 eh? fully Synth stuff like I used in my BMW, yep expensive but as for drinking it I think Beer maybe better LOL!

Jennifer said...

Egads, the weather should be kinder when nice husbands are doing their wives a good deed!

We've been in the 40s today, with melting and sprinkles through midnight. We'll wake up to 20s and fishtail all the way to school, I'm sure.

I feel like a bum for relying on QuickLube!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan. Thanks so much for your wonderful words on my latest blog entry. And all of the best to you on your quest to find feminity and make your dream come true.
In reading your latest blog, I cannot begin to tell you of how many times I have experienced those same conditions while changing oil, etc.I have a 1979 Pontiac Phoenix (Nova) That I have owned since 1985. I have totally gone through the entire car at least twice and it is still a great runner today. Your story reminds me of the first time I changed transmission fluid and filter way back when. I had made the mistake of using a cork gasket for the pan and of course, I over torqued it and to spare you the details, I had a thorugh soak in ATF from head to butt. Live and learn huh?

Now that same turbo hydramatic 350 and the strong, faithful heart of a Chevy 350 will carry me and my things to my new home. I will remember all of the times with her , the many changes that she has seen in the world, and Me. Never skimping on the oil changes, front end rebuilds, and all of the other fluid changes, all synthetic of course, my dilligence has paid off. That is the key to long life and high mileage(over 350,000) I have a 5 quart bottle of Mobil One ready to put in her now and I will be thinking of you. But I will try to be up wind when I pull the plug.

Thanks again and best wishes to all.
Julia Mitchell.
(hot tip, flush your brake fluid and replace it with DOT5 silicone brake fluid. I have had no problems in 23 years. )

Lori D said...

I don't know how you do it. It got to a frigid 54 degrees today and I couldn't even go outside to jumpstart my long dead minivan! Okay, I'm an Arizona desert bunny, sue me!

Anonymous said...

Busy man!

Funny thing is this busy schedule sounds familiar... My mom is recently retired and she is busier now than when she worked! Sounds like it may be some sort of epidemic for retired people!

Teresa said...

I won't even clean out my car till it gets warmish out (sometime next May :))

JLee said...

Happy Anniversary Alan! You are so sweet to do those things for your bride :)

jl said...

i've heard it said that love is in the action... :)
thank-you so much for your words....and i do believe that the what we see in others says so much about the nature of our own hearts. yours is amazing! :)
jl

Shauna said...

Oh Alan happy anniversary, now if I would have a man it would be someone like you. You are a great catch.