Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Why doesn't it surprise me...

As I was reading the news last night, I ran across a story on the BBC news page about them DNA testing what may be the remains of Joan of Arc. (Someday I'll figure out how to make a link that works, forgive me!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4711784.stm

The part that horrifies me is about 2/3 of the way through the page...

"Dr Charlier said Joan of Arc was burned three times on 30 May in 1431, following her trial in the Normandy town of Rouen. She died of smoke inhalation."

3 times...and didn't die from the burning, but from smoke inhalation...

Then I think of all the other burnings through history and am even more upset than I have been for years at them!

alan

10 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

Burned three times? Weird.

Alan..using the link thing is really easy actually..although it took me a year to figure that out.

When you are creating your post...you click on the links icon which is right beside the color palate! Before you do this..you type a word or the name of the site you wish to link to...then you highlight what you just typed! The click on the link button...a small popup will appear and here you can place the URL you want to link to. Does this make sense....if not..I sent you an email..with a link to Blogger Help!

STB

Barbara said...

Years ago I remember watching the Joan of Arc movie with Ingrid Bergman and thinking how cruel the church was. To be burned at the stake is horrific enough let alone to endure this three times. Barbaric indeed.

Sublime said...

*Agreeing with Barbara*

Take care today,
Sublime

Dr. Deb said...

Totally barbaric. Amazing how fear can summon such cruelty.

~Deb

Anne said...

in the name of god
you gotta love it
one of my ancestors was burned, according to the family archivist... just their luck to land in salem.

b o o said...

horrific

Taradharma said...

very weird. the christian church, the catholic church, sure have a lot of very sick history. too bad they can't look back at the weirdness in such a way that it gives them pause today. Going to third world countries and extolling large families is akin to genocide as far as I'm concerned. why not teach folks how to live in ways that lift them out of poverty?

CrackerLilo said...

Her story and the others always just hurt my heart. We know the burners' philsophical descendents still live among us, and it's really only a matter of degree and method.

Mystical Me said...

WOW!! This is very interesting!! Take care, MM

Blogzie said...

I agree, as always, with Ms. CrackerLilo.

So true, so sad.


x0x