Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tulip trees and roses...

Blogger seems to be unhappy again; I've been trying to upload a second photo off and on for 6 hours, and I'm giving up for tonight!

Funny how I've been told my whole life my "tulip tree" is a George Washington Poplar; when I went to Wikipedia to make the link above, I find out that's wrong and it's really a magnolia!

Their photo is better than mine. This is from about two years ago; I was going to take some new ones, but too busy for my own good this week. This afternoon after the birthday party I ended up washing my older son's Neon because they parked under the tree last night (these flowers really drip sap), my Malibu that was under it for about 20 minutes this afternoon and covered, and my Chrysler that I thought was far enough down the street to be safe, but I was wrong! That was after cooking dinner, so I was rather wiped out by the time dark rolled around!

Hope everyone's weekend is lovely!

alan

15 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

I see a second career for you Alan!

LOL

Have a great week!

STB

Taradharma said...

beautiful photo, Alan. the colors are somehow muted, giving it a rather antique look.

mckait said...

I love magnolia trees.. and have found one along the path i walk with my dog...

it is near to my house and I can hardly wait until it comes into bloom...

the car will be safe though, as it is in a little patch of woods....

Sounds like you have been busy and happy.. that too, is a good thing..
take care !

MB said...

Now that's gorgeous. I've been wanting to see that tree since you mentioned it. Thanks!

grace said...

Hi! Hope you are having a good weekend, lovely photo. Grace

Connie in FL said...

What a lovely buttery color. I love it when things bloom... EXCEPT the pollen part.

puhpaul said...

Wow, that's beautiful.
Now you can sit under the magnolia sipping a mint julip (julep?) in style.

Heidi said...

Beautiful :)

Patricia said...

gorgeous tree, whatever it is. :)

phoenix said...

How odd that I followed your link here today from Lois Lanes. I just posted about this very tree just a week or so ago. The funny thing is, I have been living next door to one of these beautiful trees for 10 years and this year is the first I have ever noticed the blooms. Here are my posts: Beauty I had not noticed.
Better Pictures

dragonflyfilly said...

hi alan,
MAGNOLIAS ARE MY #1 FAVE, (along with Fresias) !!! - i had a plant but it died...and i love the fragrance, and the simplity of the bloom, which i associate with Billy Holiday, i think, as every photo i have seen of her she has one in her hair! -- oh, and my friend has two huge "star-magnolias" at the front of his town house, they are exquisite, i want to take a photo, but i keep forgetting my camera.

glad you like the "neon-glow", lol...every now and then, when the weather is cold and grey, and i think the rest of my world needs a little pick me up, i switch it on and my whole balcony glows...i think it slows the traffic down a bit too.

i was having trouble accessing my picture file through blog as well, then i tried a different way and it worked...

I n g e r said...

Ach, gorgeous. For some reason, spring flowers seem more beautiful than ever before this year.

Thanks, Alan.

Inger

Mystical Me said...

Beautiful picture sweetie!!
MY weekend was really boring & slow. Next weekend will be lively, since I m having another birthday bash for my older son this time. Hes going to be 13 years old on May 10th this wednesday. UGH, I m getting old. Oh well got to make the best of it since theres nothing I can do about it. lol. Take care sweetheart!! Love always, MM XOXO

JLee said...

that flower looks good enough to eat!

Kranki said...

Very pretty. We have magnolia trees on the street I live on and I love them. Spingtime is wonderful.