Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In Shock!

"Yeah, men in position are backin' away:
Freedom is stuck in reverse.
Let's get out of Iraq an' get back on the track,
And let's rebuild America first.

Why don't we liberate these United States,
We're the ones who need it the most.
You think I'm blowin smoke? Boys it ain't no joke.
I make twenty trips a year from coast to coast."

Merle Haggard

When I heard that tonight on the BBC I almost fell off my forklift! They didn't play the whole song, only a few snippets; I came home a tracked down the lyrics, of which these are the last two verses.

Times they are a'changin'!

___________________________________________________________________

Addendum, Wednesday night/Thursday morning-

As the article the header links to attests, the rest of it is an "isolationist" anthem...
My first memories of hearing about Merle Haggard were during the Vietnam era, when he was singing against the protests, so I was quite shocked to hear him come out against the "2nd Iraq War".

I'm not a huge country music fan though I'll listen if it's on. When "the Chicks" came out with their new one I went and bought it to support them; to say thanks for standing up in spite of the flak.

I do have some Jerry Reed and Ed Bruce discs running around; also some Red Sovine and Dave Dudley. On album I have some Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins duets that are mind blowers!

But when I got in her car tonight to drive home I turned off the BBC and hit play on the CD player to listen to Glenn Miller and the Andrews Sisters, live airchecks from 1939-40.

Within a minute or two "King George" was forgotten, along with my night at work.

I was smiling!

alan

6 comments:

Lois Lane said...

You know the world is messed up when the good ol' country boys stop singing about divorce, prison and getting drunk. ;)

MB said...

Huh. Not sure *what* to make of that!

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

Good for Merle!

Hope you are well. I have been away for a while so I need to go and read through your archives.

Take care,

Jon-Marc

puhpaul said...

It all reminds me of the uproar over that Dixie Chicks song when the war first started. It seemed like everyone was on the band wagon to tar and feather the the Chicks and now even Merle is singing the same kind of song.

paul

alan said...

As the article the header links to attests, the rest of it is an "isolationist" anthem...

My first memories of hearing about Merle Haggard were during the Vietnam era, when he was singing against the protests, so I was quite shocked to hear him come out against the "2nd Iraq War".

I'm not a huge country music fan though I'll listen if it's on. When "the Chicks" came out with their new one I went and bought it to support them; to say thanks for standing up in spite of the flak.

I do have some Jerry Reed and Ed Bruce discs running around; also some Red Sovine and Dave Dudley. On album I have some Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins albums that are mind blowers!

But when I got in her car tonight to drive home I turned off the BBC and hit play on the CD player to listen to Glenn Miller and the Andrews Sisters, live airchecks from 1939-40.

And within a minute or two "King George" was forgotten, along with my night at work.

I was smiling!

Guess besides leaving this as a comment I will tack it on to the post...

alan

mckait said...

Check our Catie Curtis new Album, Long Night Moon.. fabulous! she says it all so well.

How is it that a whole damned country is allowing a madman to kill thousands,just because he says so?

Yes I am talking about Adoph Bush..
How do we make it stop?

woe is we :(