Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The day after...

the only thing better than St. Patrick's Day is the corned beef leftovers!

:o)

In trying to tighten things up where we can, we hadn't been to the store since the 1st and didn't buy corned beef on that run. Yesterday, with Dottie off after working the weekend, we needed milk and Sam's had corned beef in the cooler. She kept saying no, but knowing how much her heritage and the holiday both mean to her (she makes a point every year of sending cards to the kids and grandkids; she still has a grocery store shamrock I bought for her 20 years ago that goes out in the summer and comes in in the winter) there was no way I could not, so I told her she could pick or I would. Of course I was told where my taste is...but at least she picked what she wanted.

The rest of the day was spent with her cooking and me puttering. It was 80 Farenheit yesterday, the windows were not only open all day but all night. Now it's 55 and cloudy and I've closed the windows and re-lit the furnace, happy that they aren't predicting another freeze!

And to loop back to my opening, besides the corned beef sandwich I ate for lunch, I'm truly looking forward to it and leftover potatoes for dinner!

Dillon is supposed to spend the weekend this week and he's very ready to have some time away from his siblings. They are so close in age (2 years apart) I can't blame him, everything is a compromise when he's at home.

I plan on getting another post up before then, but just in case I don't, I'll hope that the rest of the week is kind to each of you and that your weekends are warm and wonderful and turning to thoughts of spring!

alan

7 comments:

ryssee said...

That was so sweet!

Calamity Jen said...

I agree with ryssee.

Happy belated St. Paddy's Day to you and Dottie!

Dru Marland said...

I read a reference to corned beef on Paddy Day somewhere else too, and was a bit mystified at the attraction. But I did a bit of research and learned that your version of corned beef is different from the British commonly-understood version, which is minced-up cow in a can from Argentina. Which makes a really good hash for camping (or ersatz camping) food, but hardly a national dish.
Although, as our national dish is probably fish and chips, why not?
Enjoy!

Riot Kitty said...

Happy St. Pats! I also sent cards to my family and friends even though we are trying to save $. It's a small investment into happiness :)

Green tea said...

I made such a huge batch of Corned beef and cabbage that I will end up throwing it together and adding broth to make soup before I'm done.
I don't know how Dottie makes it but mine has potatoes, carrots and cabbage in it..kind of like boiled dinner.
My mouth is watering thinking about it. :D

Lucie G said...

A short break from the siblings is always welcome. Hope the weathers kind.

Jennifer said...

Can you keep a secret?

I snarfed the last of the corned beef at lunchtime today, then feigned ignorance as to where it all went.

Kicking myself for not hoarding this morning when it was all marked down.

It's salty and sweet, tender yet toothy, and it's the most fabulous shade of PINK! What's not to love about corned beef??