Thursday, November 09, 2006

The exodus from Washington!



No, not really...not until January, anyway! But in the spirit of the coming holiday...lol!

When we came off one of the dirt roads and back onto pavement last Tuesday, I heard something scratching in the leaves. I stopped the truck, and on Dottie's side we saw these wild turkeys. I'm pretty sure when this park was built in 1938 there weren't any wild turkeys left in Kansas; I don't remember ever seeing one as a kid. Their repopulation started in the last 25 years, and seeing them further out "in the country" isn't unusual anymore, but finding them here was a real treat!

Hope you are each having a good week!

alan

7 comments:

Patricia said...

great shot. uhhhh no hunting pun intended. my office backs up to a woods and there are regularly SIX turkeys who feed off the bird feeders my boss keeps at the edge of our property. i always think them to be super brave for showing their faces (not to mention their drumsticks) at this time of year.

MB said...

Isn't that the bird Ben Franklin wanted as our national bird? Instead, we got the raptor. Interesting choice of illustrations, Alan!

sjobs said...

One of those turkeys would look great at the dinner table come Thanksgiving......

Ben, I do believe, wanted the wild turkey. After all, it is native to the north america.

I am enjoying what happened on Tuesday to those turkeys in Washington. It has kept me smiling for two days.....

Anonymous said...

thanksgiving dinner runaways?

nancy =) said...

very clevah, alan =)

we have lots of wild turkeys 'round here...you'd be very surprised by what you find here in jersey...

have a great weekend =)

~ n

JLee said...

Just wanted to say "Hi" Alan. When I see those turkeys, I get hungry...mmmmm Thanksgiving dinner!

Kranki said...

Happy Sunday!

I love me some turkeys. In a totally pure way being a vegetarian and all.

Let them frolic in the meadows!