Saturday, January 19, 2008

Things are getting better...

all the time!

I was pretty tired the other night when I wrote my last, so in my rambling I made it sound as though my Scorpio wife was having her birthday this weekend. It's Laura's birthday dinner, though her birthday isn't 'til later in the month. With the hours she works, and her last semester of school starting this next week, she wanted to do it now and I can't blame her!

Things are much brighter for me at the moment because someone cancelled a vacation day for yesterday so I "inherited" it and thus got a decent nights sleep, got to spend the day with Dottie, spent a couple of hours playing "Xenosaga 2" after she went to bed, and still got a good night's sleep.

Dottie on the other hand has managed to re-catch that cold we both spent two weeks fighting off...something to do with lack of sleep I bet, but can't convince her. So she's still asleep right now as I drink my "morning" latte.

We watched the Russell Crowe's "3:10 to Yuma" last night; very good and well done. Much better than I'd have believed from the press when it came out, and some very good features in the bonus stuff as well.

Last weekend Dottie fell asleep on one of "my" movies, the original "Topper" with Cary Grant from 1937. It wasn't that she didn't like it (it is sometimes) but just that it was way past her bedtime. Last night we picked up where she fell asleep and even though I was watching it for the 2nd time in 5 days, I still laughed as did she.

Ever since I read "The Parade's Gone By" and learned a bit about how "effects" were done before "CG" I've been amazed at how good some really were. "Topper" is a prime example!

Off to run the weekly shopping errands...

May this lovely weekend be kind to you all!

alan

P.S. It was -2F. at 5AM this morning...very glad I was already home! :o)

6 comments:

robin andrea said...

Glad you got to spend time with Dottie. I read once that rest is really the best thing you can do for a cold. It's when the body rejuvenates and can fight off a virus. So I hope Dottie gets more sleep. It's really good for her. Hope your temps warm up, and the weekend is good to you.

We watched Holiday with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn on Netflix Watch Instantly last night. Good movie, and an interesting view of class warfare from 70 years ago. Things haven't really changed much.

Jennifer said...

Done feeling sorry for myself at 7 degrees, then.

I adore Cary Grant. I love reading biographies of his life as much as I love watching him on the screen.

"Arsenic and Old Lace" should be required Hallowe'en viewing!

Anne said...

Besides being a fabulous actor,Cary was also a tripper-did you know that?
;)

KellyNerd said...

I hope you are having a good weekend too!

mckait said...

Hey you.

I have been by to read, but not to post.

Doesn't mean that I am not thinking about you tho...

Sounds as if your life is full and eventful as always...

keep well............and have fun!

fineartist said...

Don't cha just love days off? Oh me too, I have Monday, tomorrow off, goody goody, and thanks be to God/Goddess!

I may just lay around in my pajamas all day, I did yesterday.

xx