Monday, September 15, 2008

Bill is safe...

and settled into his apartment. He called this morning for some information to fill out more of his paperwork for his new job, then was going shopping to buy a "real" bed instead of sleeping on the air mattress he took with him.

The basement is still trickling water, but not at nearly the rate it was; another day or two and it will subside. At least there isn't anymore rain in the forecast for this week!

My older two grandchildren have been back in school for a while now; when they came to dinner last Thursday to say goodbye to Bill, they had passed the first cold of the year to their Mom, and I seem to have been the next on the list...

I had to call my friend in Colorado to find out something for Bill earlier, and then called him back to find out how he was doing; we talked for about 2 hours. He is still trying to get his roof replaced from the last storms they had there, and it's cold enough now he has been using his new woodstove these last 2 nights.

Winter is definitely on it's way!

As I watch Ike's aftermath on the screen to my left and fear for those I know in that direction along with everyone else displaced or awaiting rescue, I'm grateful I didn't take that transfer to the Gulf Coast all those years ago when we weren't sure that GM would build a new plant here.

And as I watch the rest of the news of the day, my memory goes back to the "Savings and Loan crisis" and the "Keating Five"...

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." - Winston Churchill

I used that in a reply earlier to a friend in Britain in response to her post about the London branches of the firms collapsing today refusing to pay their staff. At the time my ancient memory couldn't remember who to attribute it to; I remember hearing Harry Truman quoted as saying it.

I was rather embarassed when it turned out to be Winston Churchill!

My eyes are burning, my head is throbbing, my nose is glued shut and it hurts to swallow...the drugs aren't helping...more drugs...more drugs...

May the week be kind to each of you!

alan

7 comments:

ryssee said...

Yes these are crazy days with all the stuff in the news. Your son Bill's exciting move, these devastating storms, the 7th anniversary of 9/11, my kitchen demo, baseball playoff fever, football starting, school starting, Halloween decorations in stores, people having babies, new employees coming in to our office, and everything else that's going on in people's lives (how's that for a list of completely non-related things?!) remind me that no matter what happens, life still goes on at an unrelenting pace.
Sure hope you feel better soon.

Kranki said...

Glad everybody is safe and sound but getting that cold sure sucks. Take care of yourself!

Jennifer said...

Chicken soup time!

And if you're allowed a snootful now and then, try a shot of vodka with a tablespoon each of honey and lemon.
The kids' pediatrician swore it's better than any over-the-counter product out there.

My cold lasted a day and a half. Younger Eena is feeling better on the fourth day. You'll be good as gold in no-time flat!

Connie in FL said...

Great to hear Bill is safe and sound! So is Butler for those who wondered.

I was living in Missouri during that savings and loan crisis. Many farmers in our area were greatly affected. If memory serves... Neal Bush was involved, no?

Rest easy friend. Take care of you for a while.

Lucie G said...

Get well soon.

I frequently misatribute quotes and more often get than wrong as well.

beckyboop said...

Poor baby. Zilla is right, as usual. Homemade chicken soup is what you need.

Bummer about your basement. My did not flood. But it has a horrible musty smell. It did this last time we had butt loads of rain.

I hope you start feeling better.

robin andrea said...

I hope you are feeling better, alan. I've been reading other bloggers who have been sick, as well. It's that time of the year with school starting and kids bringing home their shared viruses.

Glad you remember the Keating Five and the Savings and Loan scandal. No surprise who runs off with the money, who gets left to bail out the system.