Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Twenty nine years...

ago today my wife said "I do". It wasn't fancy, just a Judge in San Diego, at his home with his mother for a witness, and a few friends. Though we were "in it" for the long haul, I still can't belive she's put up with me all these years! Through the partying, the outgrowing of it (finally, after the kids were born) the layoffs from work, then the overtime at work (feast or famine, the GM way!) the house in need of repair or in need of the money for repair. Then there were all of the cars that always ran, but always needed worked on, the never ending cycle of getting them ready to go on vacation to Vermont (her home state) from Kansas City (because after the kids got big enough to need seats, we couldn't afford to fly anymore!), packing the tools just in case, and the spare parts...it was always something.
Once we went to visit her Mom and Dad when I was laid off and took the diaper service diapers with us, two weeks worth! When we went the clean ones were bagged on the back floor of our '71 Impala; on the way home they were double bagged and in the trunk. The speed limit was still 55 most of the way then, and the trip was well over 30 hours; as fatigue set in somewhere in Ohio, I imagined what was going to happen if we were in a wreck and they found all the diapers everywhere and couldn't find the laundry truck...
We went out the first time on my 20th birthday; December 29, 1975. Maybe more about that later...but it doesn't seem possible it's been 30 years ago!

alan

4 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

Congrats to both of you!

Makes me believe again in the power of marriage....

STB

nancy =) said...

all the best to you both =)

here's to another 30 years!!

peace...

Anne said...

dude, that's freaky-29 years ago, i too was a resident of san diego, attempting to go to school. that's kind of eerie. i lived in ocean beach and pacific beach.

happy anniversary to you. an impressive number indeed.

alan said...

annie, I was in Imperial Beach, from '73 to '78. When I was still "active duty" and couldn't stand the barracks or the base, I'd walk from 13th St and the main gate and "meander" my way down to the beach, and sit under the pier at all hours playing my horn. I got invited to quite a few parties that way, including a couple in your old haunts.

In hindsight, I wish I'd put some of that effort into learning to surf (not that there was much of that that far south in S.D.)or something "zen", instead of playing and partying and later on riding old Triumphs (when I wasn't pushing them). But in two weeks I turn 50; I've gone from 288 in February to 195 now (crawling to the bathroom because you can't walk is a great motivator) and wearing 58" bibs to the 36" slacks I bought tonight for my younger son's college graduation on Saturday. Perhaps there's still time for an old dog to learn a few new tricks! My new mountain bike is sitting here next to me (in what's supposed to be a bedroom), and Fuel TV is on and the idea of snowboarding has intrigued me for the last 10 years or so, though until now the idea of falling down would have worried me. Now I know I'll heal, so I can deal with most anything I think...

alan