Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The stories we never hear (here)!!!

I mentioned this story and tried to put a link to it in a reply I left on someone else's blog and the link kept getting cut off. I've pasted the entire story here and the title should be a link to the original Daily Star page.

I read too much for my own good, though not as much as I used to. I have an e-friend in Lebanon, and in trying to follow what's going on there I read the headlines from this paper daily, and some of the stories when I find time. With all the hand wringing and furor here this last few weeks, you can see why the following headline intrigued me:

"Dubai company provides port services to U.S. Navy"


By Agence France Presse (AFP)




WASHINGTON: While Dubai Ports World bowed out of running six US port facilities to quell an outcry over security concerns, another Dubai-owned company has since January provided services in 12 U.S. ports and to the U.S. Navy, Time magazine said on its website.

The British company Inchcape Shipping Services (ISS) was sold in January to a "Dubai government investment vehicle for $285 million," Time said.

ISS has more than 200 offices around the world, including more than a dozen U.S. port cities including Houston, Miami and New Orleans, where it arranges "pilots, tugs, linesmen and stevedores, among other things," said the magazine.

The U.S. Navy in June of last year signed a $50 million contract making ISS its "husbanding agent for vessels in most Southwest Asia ports, including those in the Middle East," said Time quoting from an unclassified Navy logistics manual.

As husbanding agent, ISS is responsible for arranging everything from fuel to spare parts to fresh vegetables for vessels at ports of call. "More critically," said Time.com, "they often provide security, like erecting concrete barriers and what the military calls force protection."

The company knows ships' schedules weeks in advance.

An ISS spokesman contacted by Time refused to comment on the report but a statement issued by the company said ISS had undergone rigorous external security checks and has comprehensive internal policies on security, adding that all port staff are fully vetted and undergo a background check.

The Washington Post said Friday the ISS was purchased by a Dubai company whose executive, Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, also heads DP World, whose takeover of British firm Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company was opposed by many U.S. lawmakers but supported by the White House.

DP World's announcement Thursday that it would sell its US ports operations headed off a showdown between President Bush and Congress, despite its being in the control of his Republican Party. - AFP



Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Star

6 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

I saw something like this somewhere yesterday as well. The truth will never see the light of day.

Money and the making of it are behind all of this...and the rest of us can just suck eggs.

STB

dragonflyfilly said...

hey alan,
nice to hear from you...so you survived the "near hurricane", eh?

yeah, i think i heard of that movie in 2000, starring Sissy Spacek? i think

Well, ref your post: our great great great great [etc] grandchildren might hear the story one day -- just like the stories we now hear about the civil war - war mongering for profit is as old as hills.(you know the term cannon-fodder -- we keep making the babies, the politician keep sending them off to war!)

dragonflyfilly said...

ref: wings -- why do you think Count Dracular wears a big cape?

Dr. Deb said...

Okay, I heard something similar on the radio today. I like to catch my news from the BBC because it seems less cloaked and doctored, you know?!

alan said...

Before I had a computer, when I had a few extra dollars I would buy the London Sunday papers, Scotland on Sunday and such at Borders when they came in on Wednesday. I always learned more about what was going on in America through them than I ever did from our news here; let alone the rest of the world.

Sometimes I actually think about going back to the monotony of the assembly line just to have time to read again...

I remember finding out that in the 40's the government sprayed radioactive mist from civil defense towers to see how it spread through the city (as I remember it was East St. Louis) and that they fed kids at a boarding school radioactive oatmeal because Quaker said that the oatmeal "killed" radioactivity. That came out because the families had found out and sued; it was settled out of court with them because there were no survivors...

I remember finding out that Nikes sold in America had a "safe" chemical in them for an antifungal treatment, while the ones sold in Latin America had formaldehyde (the chemical I think started my Dad's fatal cancer). Of course, after NAFTA, the ones from Latin America were making their way back into the US to be sold here as well...

I remember learning about Alison Hargreave, the only woman to climb the highest peaks on each continent without oxygen, losing her life on her descent from topping K2...

So many things we never hear about or read about in the American press...

I miss Murrow and Cronkite and true JOURNALISTS!!!

alan

CrackerLilo said...

Wow. Definitely an argument for reading non-US sources, too.