Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ironies abound in this world...

and at 50 I can accept most of them. Somehow the disparity between the prosecution of "the 20th hijacker", Jeff Skilling and Ken Lay is really bothering me!

I understand that the "wheel man" in the bank heist is just as guilty as the inside men when someone dies; I undertand that Moussaoui was part of a conspiracy that killed thousands and hurt thousands more. I have no problem with him serving a life sentence for his part in things; the fact that he himself has said he would rather die so he can become a martyr (of which I have no doubt he will) makes me think that life is the harshest punishment that could be given!

On the radio (NPR) I hear victim impact testimony, lives ripped apart, changed forever, the financial implications, etc..

Yet no one speaks of Skilling or Lay doing life for the damage done by their crimes! Yes, I realize if they get 40 years, perhaps several terms consecutive that it will amount to the same thing. I also know that terms are commuted, that there will be "good behavior", etc., and that if they go to jail they'll probably both be out before I can retire.

Yet they ruined the lives of tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands by the time you follow the ripples out to the edges! How many heart patients or elderly died during the rolling blackouts in California? How many families lost their life savings, their retirement, their futures, their children's futures? How many grandchildren went giftless or perhaps even college-less if their grandparents were like mine?

Pardon my rant...

alan

8 comments:

sjobs said...

Hey understand it all. Part of me really wonders if he had anything to do with 9-11 in the first place.

As far as the other two, I hope they get what turns out to a life sentence or a good portion of their lives in prison. They deserve it, but it seems to me that those in the White House pretty much deserve it too. Why is not ok to lie about a personal relationship but ok to lie when it has people killed. I am so sick of listen to the news every day and hearing one more person say that the White House was respobsible for this and that.....

What a bunch crooks!!! They are even worse then Nixon!!!!!

Love Ya,

Mary

robin andrea said...

alan-- I completely agree, and I am so glad that you wrote this. Why does the media ignore the gravity of the crimes committed by Skilling and Lay and concentrate on the 20th hijacker? Skilling and Lay owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Moussaoui. If not for him, the media might be asking the questions you so succinctly and passionately ask here. Right on, alan. I love the way you think.

Sublime said...

Hi Alan,

You are right about Skilling and Lay. I think the problem is that they don't "look" the part of the monsters that they are. Moussaoui is the poster child of what the focus of american hatred looks like right now.

Thank you for the kind comment on my personal blog. I'm trying really hard to keep it together. So far, so good.

Take care,
Sublime

Lois Lane said...

You're right, just makes you shake your head and wonder.
Lois Lane

CrackerLilo said...

I understand what you mean, exactly.

I think Moussaoui was punished as he is because the others are beyond it now.

Patricia said...

i’m visiting from lois lane’s.
you struck a nerve with me. i believe in the strength of our justice system. however, the inequities of sentences, mandatory minimums, early parole… it all makes me crazy.

mckait said...

good rant..

and I agree....

Taradharma said...

alan, your rant is right on the money. the rich can buy their own form of justice by the mere fact of their wealth. until they face just punishment for their crimes, white collar crime with its devastating effects will be deemed as inconsequential. pisses me off.