Saturday, April 01, 2006

Recipe Saturday...

As I've tried to rework old things and learn new ones this last year, one that works well is skillet fried pork chops. I've fixed these 3 times now, and they've come out perfect each time (so far). I usually sautee a bunch of sliced mushrooms to go with them.

I've been using whole wheat flour with enough Lawry's Seasoned Salt mixed in with it to give it some color, stirring it together on a plate.

Thick sliced chops (I've been buying Tyson at the Wal-Mart Supercenter), rinse to get off any bone chips, then flip them around on the plate with the flour.

A tablespoon or so of olive oil in a skillet over a middle setting on my gas burner, higher than I use for eggs or burgers, etc., because olive oil seems to not mind and it sticks the breading so I can turn them several times.

I've been cooking them for 35 to 40 minutes (they're really thick chops; when I first bought them my wife didn't think I could cook them through without baking them) turning them every 7 to 10 minutes just to make sure they're evenly done. The first time I checked them with a meat thermometer, I haven't bothered since.The breading stays on wonderfully (I don't know if it's the flour, or using the higher heat) and no matter how many times I turn them I haven't lost any of it yet. They cook up the most wonderful color!

I switched off of Shedd's Spread when I started reading about the different fats and transfats, and switched to Land Of Lakes "Spread" (no transfats, good numbers, great flavor); that's what I've been sauteeing the mushrooms in. I usually have to cook two skillets worth, though I just bought a 14" at Sam's I'm looking forward to trying out...maybe Sunday! If there are more than just the two of us then I'll buy 2 pounds of sliced mushrooms at Costco, and that will be 3 or 4 skillets worth until now...if that 14 works I'll be a happy cook indeed!

The weekend I took my 18 year old nephew and his buddy to see "The World's Fastest Indian" we came back and I fixed these in time for my wife to come home from work, both boys loved them (for them I also cooked baked potatoes); I've fixed them for the wife and I twice now and can start to salivate just thinking about them...

My team leader at work has been telling me how wonderful aspargus is off the grill, so this afternoon if I get the shopping done will be sirloins and asparagus off the grill as long as the storms hold off late enough...

Happy Saturday everyone!

Hopefully I'll visit you each over the weekend, and have time to put something together for Photo Sunday! (It's been a wild week here in Lake Woebegone!)

alan

4 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

Indeed these sound tasty!

Have a swell weekend and hope you do indeed get the opportunity to BBQ. It's already to humid in Houston!

Opps..me whining again...sorry.

STB

mckait said...

i might have to try these..

they sound good..!
take care
:)
k

Mystical Me said...

That sounds soooooooo good!! If you werent married, I think Id ask you to marry me. I love a man who can cook. ;)
Have a wonderful Saturday sweety!! Take care, MM XOXO

Playground In My Mind said...

My mouth is watering:)
I loved ur comment on the ending of Heidi's story. tears and a smile. It is there for you, too. Renee