Wednesday, August 29, 2007

5AM...

After I came home and read my e-mail I tried to blog-hop around and visit most of you. I should have been trying to put together a router table, but I'm sure it will still be waiting for me tomorrow, or tomorrow night!

I've been picking up some tools of late with building some furniture in mind. Dad had a radial arm saw he could make do most anything, but my brother-in-law got it when Dad died. In digging back through some of Dad's books I've figured out that there is a lot a guy can do with a router that Dad did with his Dewalt, and if I'm lucky I can get away with my new circular saw and a good rip guide for the major cuts I need to make, at least for a while.

This old house has some places you can put shelves and such for storage, but not in a size you are going to buy anywhere. Dottie wants some kind of doors on anything like that to keep dog hair and dust out; with the router I should be able to cut tracks for sliding doors.

I've also thought it might be nice to build some things that might still be around when I'm gone; I have cabinets and things that Dad made 40 years ago...

Dottie used to tell me it would be nice to build a grandfather clock for each boy's family; I went and priced the one that Dad bought back in the early 70's and got a real case of sticker shock!

Maybe a couple of wall clocks instead!

:o)

Humpday...sometime's I wonder whether I'm over it or it's over me, but I looked in the Union paper that just came out for the month and didn't find my name in the obits, so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Yes, I actually looked...

alan

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did you make your list of creative possibilities before or after you checked to see if you were still alive?

Goals -- especially creative goals, I think -- might keep us out of the obits a little while longer!

Happy woodworking, Alan!

CrackerLilo said...

"I was put on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die." My aunt has a coffee mug that says that. I wonder if you do, too! :-)

See you at 5 am tomorrow, and I hope you find a way to visit us all *and* get some rest *and* get some things done!

Me said...

I love to watch men build things. Don't know why, but it's a comforting thing.

And I hear you on that looking in the obits thing.

:)

Connie in FL said...

We have lots of those kinds of projects around here too. Sorry to say, most are still just in the "thinking about it" stage.

As collectors we really need some extra built-ins!

Safe and happy weekend my friend.

b o o said...

have a great weekend *hugss*

Barbara said...

Looking in the obits. Hmm, isn't that a sign of old age? So what are you doing THAT for eh? (grin) You have a long way to go before that my friend.

I often wish that I had went for my ticket in carpentry or cabinetmaking instead of welding. Yep, I used to be a certified welder-fitter. Surprised?

Lois Lane said...

Speaking of This Old House, they have a lot of how-to videos online. So does the Do it Yourself Network. I bet if you spent half a day watching all those videos, you'd be a pro just like your pops, and you could make a grandfather clock and anything else Dottie may have on her wish list. :)

Mary said...

Have fun with all your building. I wished you live closer, I would have a few projects for you....

puhpaul said...

There's a great show on PBS, I think it's called the Router Workshop. The host makes some incredible things using his router.

paul

HAR said...

Alan,
I hope that you manage to enjoy yourself a bit this weekend.