Thursday, January 15, 2009

90%...

maybe even 92 or so!

My back is finally better; I haven't taken a muscle relaxer or pain killer since I got out from under the hood of my nephew's Galaxie last Sunday. I was very still on Monday, but it has eased and the time has come for me to finally start going back downstairs to my little gym.

I call it "The Dungeon" sometimes because that's what the original downstairs gym in Venice, California was called by the guys who attended it in the early 60's. Bare minumum of equipment, lots of work to make up for the things that machines do now. No 20 minute workouts here, it takes that long to do one exercise because you can't rotate between machines...at least as things begin. Later in a workout I can do some supersets by rotating between multiple bars and dumbells, but it's still not the same.

I haven't stepped on a scale since I hurt myself, either. I fear it, since not only have I not been downstairs but the holidays interceded as well. Though my egg nog consumption was down this year, I fear it wasn't enough to save me!

So here's me resolving to get at least a half hour on the treadmill each and every day, and if I can't find 4 hours to lift on a 3 on/one off cycle, perhaps I can find two to lift every day with no off days...

Lesson learned, however, this time, instead of just doing things to strengthen my back I shall also remember to work on the abs and obliques I never got around to last time. The ones that would have strengthened the rest of my "core" enough to have not "done myself in" the way I did last month trying to help someone out of my yard!

I was told in therapy that anytime you build one side of anything stronger than the others you set yourself up for failure. I even kept telling myself I needed to make sure I made some time for those other muscles...but didn't!

Sometimes those little voices know best!

Dottie is off tomorrow, and Talia is spending the weekend, so I have no idea what is in store for me, except that she wants to make some T-shirts like Dillon did last weekend!

She's "into" horses now...I have a funny feeling...

May Friday be kind and your weekends be wonderful!

alan

P.S. I finally figured out after 3 hours yesterday how to add a Flickr slideshow; those photos going by are from the last two Vermont trips and I'll be adding more once I reduce their size to web-friendly. I hope you enjoy them!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like your slide show, thank you.

Winter is making me pudgy. I'm constantly cooking to keep the house warm, but my horoscope for the New Year said "Dance in the body you have," so I'm not sweating the added pounds.

I'm sweating the almost back-to-back viruses, though. I'm the one who doesn't get sick, and I'm in the middle of another doozy.

I hope you have a fun weekend making tees with Talia!

Calamity Jen said...

Alan, thank you for your comments on my blog. You always have a kind word for everyone. It is a pleasure to read your blog and to see your comments on other's blogs.

I'm so glad that your back is feeling better.

Green tea said...

Glad your back is better..take it slow on the work out for now.
I need to take some computer classes.
I would love to redo my blog, and hate bugging my techy all the time.
-22 here today Alan, expecting a heat wave later when it goes above 0
:D

Sassy said...

There is nothing worse than back pain. My back is better, but still weak.

Teach me some back exercises? haha

Happy Friday!

Anji said...

Good to hear that you're back in order again. I got the weights out for the first time in months this morning. Have a good weekend.

ryssee said...

So glad you're feeling better!
Have a great weekend, with no failing appliances.

CrackerLilo said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, and glad you can work out again! L'Ailee tells me that about making sure I develop both sides *all the time*.

May the weekend be kind...and you be kind to yourself as well!

Debbie K said...

Hi Alan
I am so pleased your back is feeling 90% better.
You are a 100% compassionate kind gentleman & deserve to be happy.
I hope you have a good weekend.

beckyboop said...

Now that the back is better, back to the dungeon. I need a dungeon as well. Great slide show...ahhh young love.

Have a great weekend!