Monday, January 05, 2009

Out with the old, in with the same old new!

Five and a half hours on the phone...we finally have prescription drug coverage again...

Dottie tried to call in her blood pressure med to Medco on Friday and was told we weren't covered. I called GM's benefits "broker" Fidelity, was assured that we did have coverage but it was a computer glitch and it would be settled by Saturday.

Meanwhile the doctor calls in an antibiotic for her as well, as the amoxicyllin she got for her sinus/lung infection wasn't killing it. It was denied as well.

When you have replacement joints, infections can settle in to your joint and cause all kinds of nasty problems. She was better, but still coughing stuff up, with one day of the other med left.

Saturday? No change...

Sunday? No change...

Today? At 9:30 I called Medco and played the wait game only to be told that GM had changed our coverage to a different company without telling us. I hang up, get a notepad and all of the PIN's etc. and call Fidelity. At 11:37-

I got a human at 2:13. At 2:17 they had forced Medco's computer to accept the new group number.

At 2:20 I called her BP med in and it worked! Then I called CVS and they put the antibiotic through again and it worked as well.

So for good measure I called in my eye drops to add to that order.

Finally I'm eating lunch and then I'm off to the pharmacy!

Not what I had planned for my first blog of the New Year!

I planned on raving about how much more cooperative my desktop is with the two 1gig ram sticks my youngest helped me put in (actually, he put them in and I held the light, lol) on Friday. About how when I picked those up at Microcenter this external dual-layer Lightscribe DVD burner also followed me home, along with a new slideshow program.

But that was before I spent 10-12 hours in voicemail hell over the last 4 days...

Happy New Year!

May the week be kind to each of you!

alan

11 comments:

Lucie G said...

Glad its all sorted out in the end, sad you had to through so much effort though.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

(shaking head)

We spent awhile calling credit cards. Got all of them to drop APRs, amazingly enough. One of them got cranked up to 36% just because, which is what started all the calls.
And Tom had to juggle his insurances to get himself new glasses, which still hasn't happened yet.
But still grateful we don't live in Gaza.

ryssee said...

Ugh. Is our health care system really the best in the world? I don't think so. Gimme NHS!

Kranki said...

What a to do and all for what should have been all along.

I'm a little nervous as I have to do something similar tomorrow. Maybe I'll make snacks for the long haul.

robin andrea said...

It is an arduous task, that incredible waiting game in telephone hell. I think part of the plan is to make people wait so long that they lose patience and hang up. Good for you for hanging in there, literally and figuratively. Glad to hear the prescriptions went through. Hope Dottie is on the mend.

Sassy said...

Our healthcare is a pain in the ass at times.

Happy New Year to you!

beckyboop said...

Love being on hold, leaving voicemail, wasting precious time that should be spent doing other things. I'm glad you got it straightened out.

So cool you improved your computer. Lightscribe DVD burner along with a new slideshow? The new stuff is gonna be fun.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it does not work but when it does thank heavens for our NHS here in the UK. Glad to hear things have got sorted Al.

Chandira said...

THat's the silly thing, isn't it? Once you can get through to an actual live human being, these things get sorted out fairly quickly!
I'm realising how valuable I am as a 'live' receptionist... ;-)

Happy NY Alan. I'm sure I've said that already but it doesn't hurt repeating..

Penny M said...

Voicemail hell is bad enough when it is for something trivial, but for medication cover - I think I'd go postal!!!

Green tea said...

I hate it, I want a real live person when I call for something.
Right now I have been playing phone tag with Sunbeam trying to find out if the got the Electric blanket I sent that needs replacement.
What a pain...