Saturday, May 03, 2008

The lights are on...

finally, after about 38 hours without.

Since we had so much rain along with the storms, we got up every hour to hour and a half and used a battery operated sump pump to pump six 5 gallon buckets and carry them outside so the basement didn't flood. Finally at 3 yesterday afternoon when we didn't have lights, knowing I couldn't leave Dottie to do that with her replacement hip and knee (though I'm sure she could, she shouldn't) I called and told GM I would be late; went and bought a generator, dropped a cord to the sump pump, one to the fridge, one to the freezer and one to the living room for lights or whatever.

The float on the real sump pump was somehow damaged during all of this, so this morning I stayed up until Lowe's opened, bought a new one and installed it, then waited until it cycled one time on it's own. At 10:45AM I went to bed...

I'm tired! Going to eat now, and probably fall asleep!

May the rest of your weekends be kind!

alan

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, it's about time you had that generator anyway! Now you're ready for anything!

Sleep well, my friend ... and sweet, trouble-free dreams.

Connie in FL said...

I agree with zilla.. you needed that generator anyway!

Want weather? Go to the mid-west! You've had a tough year out there. Hopefully you'll get a break soon.

Sweet dreams.

robin andrea said...

Yes to generators. We bought one last year and never have to worry about power outages anymore. It really is a relief.

Hope things are brightening up there.

Jo said...

You are one handy guy. I wouldn't have a clue about how to get a generator, fix it up etc!

Calamity Jen said...

Glad everything is okay in spite of the storms.

fineartist said...

I'd like to have me a generator, you know, just in case the lights go out for a week or so again! That sucked, but I don't need to tell you that right?

hugs and love Alan,
Lori

CrackerLilo said...

Glad your power's back and glad *you're* back!

Bet lots of people called in late.